Dave is deeply concerned about climate change, especially the underlying emotional issues that fuel these problems. He cares deeply about the duplicity of our culture, and the need for cultural maturation. On this phase of his life journey (he is now in his 70s), he is committed to seeking emotional maturity for and within his culture, always with fierce compassion.
This blog is a way for Dave to comment on the many aspects of life that he encounters. It is also a place for him to record all his commentary, especially because the search function allows easy recall of the many postings.
He is a dynamic polymath, very skilled in the management of emotional issues. Very introverted, he often surprises people with the depth that he offers.
The work that he presents comes from his own life experience, his own struggles to find peace and joy. His family of origin included extensive alcoholism, suicide, sexual abuse, and unintentional abandonment. He survived by using his intelligence, initially intending to become a theoretical astrophysicist, studying the galaxies; never did he anticipate that he would instead study the inner universe of emotionality.
A variety of relationships and marriages have also taught him much about the joys and struggles of relationship, both what works and what doesn’t. He is the father of three adult children. He now lives in West Vancouver with his wife Jan.
He is a perpetual student, always seeking depth of understanding in his many fields of interest. His professional careers have ranged from Physician (specialist Anaesthetist) to Psychotherapist (specializing in Anger Management). He has given over 300 workshops on the management of emotional issues.
Other interests include many years of yoga practice (Iyengar) and meditation practice (Vipassana) — teaching both informally — and training as a professional cook and server. He is an avid snorkeler, when he can.
He is the author of two books (both available at the publisher AuthorHouse, perhaps still on Amazon): Blowing Out the Darkness: The management of emotional life issues, especially anger and rage (2008) and Acedia, The Darkness Within, and the darkness of Climate Change (2012).
Anyone who wants more details of Dave’s life is free to ask. He is generally known for his honest answers, and does not hide behind a professional masque.
His formal studies have included:
- Mathematics and physics, a BSc with Honors in Physics
- Biophysics, a MSc.in Biophysics
- Medicine, a MD with Honors
- Anaesthesia, a specialist degree in Medicine, CRCPC)
- Psychology, a MA-ABS in Applied Behavioral Sciences through the Leadership Institute of Seattle.
- Philosophy, a PhD in Wisdom Studies
- Gestalt Therapy, with two diplomas from the Gestalt Institute of Toronto (Jorge Rosner).
- NeuroLinguistic Programing, with diplomas as Practitioner, Master Practitioner, and NLP Coaching.
- Bowenian Family Systems, with Edwin Friedman.
- Cooking, with two years training as a professional cook.
- Food and Beverage Service, with one year training as a server.
- Hatha Yoga (Iyengar), with internationally recognized teachers.
- Mindfulness and Vipassana Meditation, with Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach (as well as having attended many vipassana retreats).
- Many retreats related to personal development.
Check out his video of Blowing Out the Darkness.
If you are interested in contributing to this blog, please contact Dave. Submissions are welcome, and will be reviewed as to content and appropriateness.